Important Announcement About Canadian Model Trains
(aka CMT; aka http://modeltrains.com)
Please, please, please read the whole page
As we've been working through this mess for a while now, it's become clear that there is still a wide range of, um, opinions regarding our responsibilities regarding orders placed with CMT. We'll try to do better to set proper expectations. We'll still make mistakes, miss an email here or there, contact some people multiple times, and misspell an occasional name.
We have contacted, or attempted to contact, all of the customers pre-paid orders and items on consignment that were present in the inventory we acquired. If you had consignment items, or a model that was paid for and should have shipped by the beginning of August, you can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org with copies of your CMT sales order for further information.
Below is all of the current information that you'll need if you want us to fill your order placed with CMT. If you already know what's going on, read it again anyway. We're doing our best to help, we're updating this page frequently, and we want to make sure that you don't miss a model you want.
First the bad news.
1. We don't have any relationship or affiliation with CMT and did not purchase CMT.
2. We don't know the business status of CMT, nor will we speculate, pontificate, opinionate, discussate or any other 'ate' that you can think of.
3. We don't have access to the accounting or records of CMT.
4. We don't have any obligation to fill orders for CMT, nor to honor deposits, pre-payments, or credits originally with CMT.
5. We can't send you any money, and we'll have to charge shipping for all orders – unless you can pick them up.
Now the good news.
1. We are willing to attempt to fill orders originally placed with CMT.
2. We are willing, within the limits of our operating expenses, to honor deposits made for those orders.
3. To honor a deposit we require a copy of your CMT Sales Order.
4. Deciding not to purchase a model from us does not cancel your order. Your order was placed with CMT. It simply means that you would not be getting the model from us.
So, you wish to continue down this path anyway, and work with us to fill your order. You're a brave soul. Here's what you need to do:
1. Forward your name, shipping address, phone number, and CMT Sales Order (not just the order numbers) to email@example.com
2. Be patient. We'll respond within a couple of days to confirm we received your email. Watch the manufacturer's website for shipping dates.
3. We'll contact you with a final price when the model is available for you to make a decision and provide payment information.
4. We'll need to complete payment as quickly as possible once the model arrives to meet manufacturer deadlines.
5. We can't hold your goods for other goods unless they come in at the same time, and we can't set up payment plans. We aren't a retailer and we're not set up for that sort of thing.
Remember, we are offering to fill the order for you.
If you'd like us to fill it, you need to tell us.
We won't assume we're filling your order.
We probably don't have a record that you placed an order.
We may not have the time to find you and find out if you want us to fill it.
In other words, if you haven't sent your information to firstname.lastname@example.org then your name isn't on our 'list.'
What the heck does that mean?
Well, we'd like to do what we can to get you the models you ordered to as close to the price that you were promised as we can. This has been our position from the start.
Our ability to cover your entire deposit is based on a lot of things including, but not limited to, the price we have to pay for the model, shipping and associated fees to get it to us, the extra operating expenses incurred to satisfy these orders, potentially reduced discounts to us from manufacturers since we're not a dealer, etc., etc.
As a general statement, if you paid a standard deposit of up to 20% of the cost of the model, we should be able to cover the entire deposit. If the deposit is for more than that, it is questionable, and we won't know until the models arrive how much more we can cover.
When we receive notice that a model will be shipping soon, we'll contact you regarding your order and let you know what the final price will be for that model. It's up to you to decide whether you want us to fill it, or if you want to go elsewhere. We won't hold it against you if you choose to go elsewhere. Really.
We won't be able to make everybody happy. Some people have significant deposits placed, others have paid for models in full. Some have substantial credits with CMT. Unfortunately, we can't solve all of these issues. All we can do is offer to provide the model for you at the best price we can offer. It's up to you to decide if that's acceptable.
Each manufacturer is giving us different terms for deadlines for these models. We aren't purchasing models for inventory,
so we require confirmation and payment of the model within a period set by the manufacturer.
In some cases these terms have varied based on the specific model, even if from the same manufacturer.
We are working with the manufacturers to get the information as early as possible, to provide for the longest deadline.
Orders we can fill
We have arrangements with the following manufacturers to be able to fill orders for models pre-ordered from CMT.
Athearn (P42 locomotive only)
Check with the appropriate manufacturer's website for status updates on their projects.
Orders we may be able to fill
We thought we had arrangements to fill orders from these manufacturers, but it seems they are so mixed up that they can't tell their head
from there feet. We will do our best, but our best may be hindered by lack or communication, incorrect information, or just plain old lunacy.
Although we may not be able to help you out, I can tell you it won't be from a lack of trying!
Orders we cannot fill
We will not be able to fill orders for models from any other company.
A few companies have provided some more information.
We're providing this information as a service, but have no affiliation with these companies.
For models from other companies you will have to order them from another dealer
or you can contact the manufacturer directly to see if they can help.
Information about specific models
Athearn P42 Locomotives
Payment Deadline: TBD
Deposits we can cover: TBD
Note: We will not have the mugs.
Payment Deadline: TBD
Deposits we can cover
DCC Sound $50
DC Only $25
This page last updated March 13, 2013.